Croasdell Family - Potted Histories

 

Waddington Church Font
The Waddington
Church Font
Henry Croasdell was baptised at Waddington, Yorkshire on 24th March 1695. His father was Richard but is described as Richard "junior" and so far it hasn't been possible to determine which Richard this was. He may have been the Richard Croasdell who at that time lived at Waddington Hall, but he and his wife Mary had been having children for several years at this stage and it is strange that he would suddenly have been referred to as Richard junior. Research is continuing into the Croasdell families centred around the Waddington area in the 16th and 17th centuries to try and solve this problem.

 


 

Morecambe Sands and Levens Estuary
Levens Estuary, Furness
In his early 20s Henry must have decided to leave Waddington and seek his fortune elsewhere. He chose to go North and cross the sands to Furness, then part of Lancashire, where on 6th October 1722 he married Eleanor Stockdale at Cartmel Priory. She had been born at Bolton le Sands and perhaps Henry had met her on his journey and persuaded her to travel with him. Eleanor's father James had married Eleanor Chalmley at Bolton in 1693 and records show the Stockdales had been established in the parish for some time.

 



 

The Settlement Certificate
Have a look at the transcript
A settlement certificate was acquired from the Churchwardens and Overseers of Waddington and presented to their counterparts in Finsthwaite the year after the marriage.

 


 

 

 

 

 

Eleanor and Henry settled in the Finsthwaite area and had 9 children several of whom died young

 

 

Henry senior was a carpenter/joiner and cooper and appears in the Finsthwaite church accounts when he was paid for carrying out various jobs. In 1741 Finsthwaite Parish Accounts detail paying Harry Croasdale 1s 2d "for Nails, Runging a Ladder and a Spade Shaft". He is also mentioned in "The Account Book of Clement Taylor of Finsthwaite 1712 - 1753" edited by Janet Martin and published by the Record Society of Lancashire and Cheshire. eg in February 1729 he was paid 2 shillings and 6 pence for 3 Caggs (Kegs). He sold bark and wood and delivered coals, laths and other goods.

Henry & Eleanor lived at Backbarrow, Fiddler Hall, Landing, Staveley, Plum Green, Chapman House and Charley Cragg, according to the various entries in the parish registers of Cartmel and Finsthwaite.

Henry died in 1770 at Linsty Green and was buried at Finsthwaite on 3rd September. Eleanor had pre-deceased him and died in 1763 at Charley Cragg, being buried at Finsthwaite on 2nd February.

 

To continue with the line of descent see James 1726 - 1787